10 Best Coding Books for Kids
10 Best Coding Books for Kids
When we think about coding, books aren’t the first thing that comes to mind. Doesn’t learning about coding have to happen on a computer?
Not with new, exciting, and educational coding books for kids.
These coding books introduce kids to what coding is, and are a fun way to spark an interest in web design, game making, and programming. Some of the books are ‘how to’ manuals, while others can be used with a computer as interactive workbooks. Younger kid-friendly “lift the flap” books, encourage little hands to explore and learn.
Although kids can search for “how-to” guides online, presenting information in a book can help kids improve their literacy skills, and gives them an easy reference without having to search through the web. For younger kids, “lift the flap books” make understanding the concepts behind coding more interactive and exciting than on a screen.
Encouraging tech-savvy kids to read books can be a challenge. But, by combining their love of technology with colorful and well-designed books, coding books for kids can get them turning pages and writing code in no time.
Here is a run down of 10 of the coolest coding books for young coders.
1. Coding Games in Scratchcreate their own computer games. With Coding Games in Scratch, kids can build single or multiplayer platform games, create puzzles, race through mazes, and add animation. All they need is this book, a desktop or laptop, Scratch and Adobe software.
4. How to Code in 10 Easy LessonsHow to Code in 10 Easy Lessons teaches kids simple coding instructions using Scratch software. It helps them learn how to create their own computer game or design a website. This book is broken down into the 10 “Super Skills” that will teach your child the basics. Then it goes into specific detail for each element they need to learn.
5. A Beginners Guide to CodingA Beginners Guide to Coding. Written by Marc Scott, the Head of Curriculum Development for the Raspberry Pi Foundation, the book has gorgeous colorful pictures and an easy reading narrative. Kids can follow step by step projects that will have them creating their own chat-bot or computer game in no time.
6. Girls Who Code: Learn to Code and Change the WorldGirls Who Code not only teaches basic computing and coding, but also includes real life stories of famous STEM women. With more and more women getting into tech, this book will encourage young girls to get involved, aim high, and make the world a better place. The artwork is bright and colorful, and the text is nicely put together in kid-friendly language.
7. Coding, Bugs, and FixesCoding, Bugs and Fixes book. This book is designed to help you learn all about the coding inside computers to see how they work and function. That way you are able to spot and identify any issues or bugs that occur. Once you spot the irregularities, you will be able to fix then and get your computer running smooth again. This book is a great option to get younger minds to find out more about how coding lines work.
8. Hello Ruby: Adventures in CodingHello Ruby Adventures in Coding book. Part picture book and part workbook, this coding book for kids teaches the concept of how to code. It gets kids thinking outside the box, creating patterns, and breaking down big problems into smaller equations for fixing. This would be a great book for any kid struggling with understanding how coding works without going into too much technical detail.
9. Lift the Flap Computers and CodingLift the Flap Computers and Coding book will keep your kid engrossed for hours. This book has lots of flaps for kids to look under to see how computers are built and how they work. Learn about how computers use codes to run basic programs, try out a simple program, and get used to the vocabulary used with computers. This is a great hands on book that will give young kids a good start on computers and coding.
Last update on 2019-10-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API